Texco Group Profile
“Whilst our management systems are refined and guided by our Safety and Quality Management Systems, we still believe in the integrity of a handshake.”
Townshend Excavating Ltd was formed in 1980 by J & P Townshend. From the original rubber tyred Poclain Excavator, the business has expanded to include a number of companies, a wide range of equipment and an immense staff skill base.
With a modern, well equipped and versatile fleet the companies jointly have the capacity to offer more in-house solutions to a builder or an engineer than anyone else in the local Canterbury industry.
Texco is proud of their staff's length of service, meaning clients are guaranteed familiar facees and a stable, experienced workforce.
CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
Both Texco Drilling and Piling Ltd and Texco Excavating Ltd are certified for ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems. Maintaining this certification is fundamental to the way in which the Texco Group operates.
Texco Excavating Ltd is a full member of the New Zealand Contractors’ Federation and Canterbury Chamber of Commerce.
Texco Drilling and Piling Ltd is a financial member of the New Zealand Drilling Federation and the New Zealand Crane Assocation.
Texco Excavating Ltd, Texco Drilling and Piling Ltd and Texco Steel Ltd are SiteSafe Members.
Texco Steel Ltd are a full member of Steel Construction NZ and HERA member and are a preferred subcontractor for key main contractors for earthquake recovery work in Christchurch.
Texco Steel Ltd are a full member of the Heavy Engineering Research Association. Senior Management actively contribute their time and experience to assist and lead the industry.
Texco Group companies work both independently and jointly, depending on the size and nature of the project. Examples of joint work include piling, dewatering, sheetpiling, excavation, siteworks structural steel and architectural metalwork for projects including the Christchurch Art Gallery, the Justice Precinct, Pump Stations for SCIRT, the Lake Tekapo Footbridge project, the rebuild of St Elmo Courts, Burwood Hospital stages and Christchurch Town Hall.
Texco Excavating Ltd specialise in full-service solutions for residential, commercial and infrastructure projects from the ground-level, down:
- Commercial and residential siteworks, roading and civil construction, and subdivision development
- Bulk and minor earthworks, ground and site stabilisation, and hard and soft landscape construction
- Three-water infrastructure, pump station construction for commercial, municipal, residential & irrigation
- Contaminated site and ground remediation works hydrocarbon spoil remediation
- Bridge and underpass design and construction
- Retaining wall and rockfall barrier design and construction
- Electrical infrastructure and substation construction
- Plant hire and heavy transporting
- On site and off site material screening and grading, gravel supply and cartage
Texco Drilling and Piling Ltd deliver pile, well and foundation solutions to challenging ground conditions South Island wide:
- Environmental, test & geotechnical Drilling & Site Investigation
- Water Well Drilling, Development and Sealing & Methane Gas Recovery Wells (Landfill)
- Foundation Piling Systems and Bridge Building – both driven, screw and bored pile types
- Residential Piling – Driven Timber and Concrete
- Rock Anchoring
- Sheet Piling and excavation of basements and Dewatering
- Fuel station tank installation & removal with hydrocarbon-contaminated soil bio-remediation
Texco Steel Ltd is a fabrication and welding engineering workshop providing a variety of services to a range of industries:
- Structural steel design and fabrication
- Architectural metalwork
- Seismic strengthening
- Infrastructure projects
- Plant and equipment manufacturing, and repairs and maintenance
- Steelwork integrated into civil engineering projects
Texco Engineering Ltd is a specialist production machining and engineering business operating CNC lathes and machining centres. It is a key supplier to the NZ manufacturing industry.
- Production work and general engineering jobbing work
- One-off prototype jobs
- Larger runs of various metal (stainless steel, brass, bronze, mild-high tensile steels, aluminium, titanium)
- Industrial plastic components
- OEM manufacturing
- Supplier of complete turn-key operations.
Texco Remediation Ltd is one of the first operations in New Zealand to provide a certified Soil Remediation facility for the treatment of hydrocarbon contaminated soil.
This is particularly relevant for fuel station tank removal contracts where leaching has occurred from underground holding tanks. This facility is evidence of Texco Group’s approach to finding practical environmental solutions.
Texco Group focuses on people and machines and what they can do or make. Our income is dependant on providing a safe, quality product in a cost effective manner.
The Texco Group is committed to developing staff with the right qualifications and skills for the job. This training commitment ranges from Construction Blasting to Toastmasters and all points in between.
Texco Excavating Ltd and Texco Drilling & Piling Ltd have over 100 staff collectively, with an extensive list of qualifications and trade experience, from nationally certified Civil Plant Operators, to Christchurch City Council Authorised Drainlayers and Water Main Installers, Certified Crane Operators, NZDF Senior Drillers and Heavy Transport Class 2 Pilots.
Texco Steel Ltd has a 30-strong team of tradesmen, certified welders and site installation crews who are well supported by a team of technical and administrative staff including experienced project managers, quantity surveyor and design draughtsmen.
Texco Engineering Ltd has a small but experienced team of tradesmen, with in-house design capabilities.
Machines and Equipment
Texco Excavating Ltd
- Excavators (20) - from 1 to 35 tons, 3 GPS control equipped
- Bulldozers (2) - 8 and 16 tons all GPS control equipped
- Grader (1), Rollers (9) - all GPS control equipped
- Mobile Screening Plant (1)
- Finishing tractors (2)
- Off-Road dump trucks (2), 30 tonne
- Loaders (5) – 8 to 15 tones, 1 Loadrite scale
- Water Carts (3)
- Heavy Gravel Trucks (10) incl. articulated and truck and trailer units
- Heavy Transporters (3) – 3-axle, 4-axle and flat deck
- Palfinger Crane Truck (1)
- Laser, GPS and CAD Design services
- Heavy Plate Compacters (18)
- Various mobile and stationary pumping systems
Texco Drilling & Piling Ltd
- Truck Mounted Top Drive Rotary Rig, capable of air rotary/mud rotary/solid stem continuous flight auger/HQ wireline/split spoon sampler/Shelby Tube/Sand pump sampling/single flight auger/hollow stem auger (B80)
- Track Mounted Auger Rig with 22m capability at 900mm diameter on an 8 ton excavator base (MAIT Midi Drill)
- Track Mounted Bucket Auger for bored piles extended Kelly 55m @ 1,200mm diameter (Casagrande B175XP)
- Truck Mounted Cable Tools for well development
- Track Mounted Multifunctional Rotary Drill unit for geotechnical SPTs and rock and soil anchoring (Casagrande C6 XP)
- 38 tonne hydraulic Crawler Crane with boring attachment (1.5m to 45m deep)
- 50 tonne Crawler Crane (Hitachi CX500)
- Crane Mounted 2 ton hydraulic freefalling drop hammer with a 4 ton hammer option
- Crane mounted ICE 416 vibro: casings & sheetpiles installation minimizing vibration to neighbouring properties
- Movax resonance free sheetpile installer, track mounted. Large range of sheetpiles to suit. Resonance free
- Fambo hammer, fully logged 2.1, 95% efficiency excavator mounted piling hammer
- Mast Mounted Pneumatic Rock Anchor rig, for soil nails and rock anchors
- Hiab Crane Truck (1)
- Pumps - vacuum/submersible/surface/well
- Downhole camera
Texco Steel Ltd
- Hino Ranger Hiab– Flat deck truck with deck capacity of 6.1m long x 2.3m wide x 3.4T, & front mounted 3T Hiab
- Kato KR250 Crane – Rough terrain mobile crane, capacity 25T @ 3.5m out to 1.6T @ 16m
- Spider Crane – Unic Mini Crawler crane, can drive through narrow openings of 0.6m wide x 1.5m high, capacity of 2.9T @ 1.4m out to 60kg @ 8.4m
- Scissor Lifts – 1 x 6m electric, 1 x 9m electric and 1 x 12m diesel rough terrain
- Profile Cutter - Burny oxy fuel machine capable of cutting 4.5m long x 1.8m wide x 50mm thick plate
- Punch & Shear –Large 6509-24M Scotchman machine capable of punching up to Ø32mm in up to 18mm thick plate and shearing of up 600mm wide and up to 25mm thick plate
- Mobile Welders – Lincoln 305D Ranger diesel powered with Lincoln LN-25 Pro wire feeds, 1 trailer mounted, 1 truck mounted
- Bandsaw Durma DCM50, and Guillotine
- Hydraulic Spanner – LXT4, M36mm, 10,000 PSI / 700 BAR
- Weinold Superlift SLK20 - Geni Hoist
Texco Engineering Ltd
- Haas VF3 Vertical machining centre - with 4th axis. 1016 x 508 x 635 XYZ travel
- Mazak QT6 High Speed CNC Lathe – 250mm between centres, 150 Chuck, 34mm Spindle Bore,swing
- Mazak QT200 CNC Lathes (2) – 50mm Spindle Bore, 250mm on Z-Axis, 200 swing
- Eccoca CNC Lathe – 750 between centres, 300mm chuck, 92mm Spindle Bore, 400 swing
- CNC Milling - Leadwell Machining Centre - 1000mm x 500 x 600 XYZ with 4th Axis
- Manual Machining - 3 Lathes up to 300mm swing over saddle x 1000mm BC with 300 swing in gap and DRO, Auto Lathes to 42mm bar capacity, Turret Mill
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Texco Group is committed to operating the companies in a healthy, safe and profitable manner with minimum risk to all employees and the general public.
We achieve this through following a systematic approach to managing risks through each stage of a job, and by making sure all employees, contractors and visitors are educated to ensure safe work practices occur and individual site rules are understood and adhered to.
Texco Excavating Ltd and Texco Drilling & Piling Ltd are both certified to ACC WSMP Tertiary Level, and have a Green Certificate from the SiteWise prequalification system.
Texco Group complies with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, its Regulations and any relevant Standards, Guidelines or Codes of Practices, and uses dedicated integrated software platform Mango to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and quality compliance and assurance.